The combination sounds odd, but this soup recipe was a suggestion from one of my former clients from Austria, and I’ve been hooked on it ever since. The method and ingredients are simple, but the flavor is complex, rich, and smooth. Perfect for a cold winter (and green banana) season!
-1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
-1 small onion, chopped
-1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
-2 c chicken or vegetable stock
-6-8 greenish/less-ripe bananas
-2 tablespoons lemon juice
-1 can full-fat coconut milk
-1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Peel and chop the bananas.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the stock, bananas, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and puree the soup in a blender. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Return to the pan and adjust seasonings as needed